The oratory of the “Divina Pastora” of Luco di Mugello
LUCO DI MUGELLO (BORGO SAN LORENZO) – Outside the monastic complex, at the intersection of road that leads to Grezzano, stands the pretty little temple dedicated to the “Divina Pastora”, a small relief in polychrome majolica from the workshop of Giovanni della Robbia (1520-1530 ca.) and the object of intense devotion from the local population. The building, a hexagonal plant with a central dome and ambulatory, dates back to its original layout in 1583: this differed from the current one due to the fact that the ambulatory was open to the outside and only in 1830 church. Outside, the linear geometry is enriched by the monumental coat of arms of the monastery, clearly a mannerist style, while inside the dome compartment decorated by Pietro Alessio Chini, the founder of the famous dynasty of artists and intellectuals from Borgo San Lorenzo stands out.
(Photo by Marta Magherini)